Family Displaced After Townhouse Fire
A family of four is displaced from their home after fire officials say smoking materials discarded on the balcony started a townhouse fire that quickly spread, according to fire officials.
Montgomery County Fire Rescue Service units were called to the 13500 block of Station Street in the Buckingham Station community located off of Waterford Hills Boulevard in Germantown for the report of fire showing in a four-story townhouse at about 5:30 pm on Sunday, June 9.
First arriving units discovered heavy fire the rear second floor of the middle-of-the-row townhouse and smoke visible in both the front and heavy smoke in the rear alley. Firefighters were able to quickly contain the fire which, according to MCFRS spokesman Pete Piringer was mostly on the second floor of the townhouse. Fire officials quickly called for a Rapid Intervention Task Force to be dispatched which brought a total of 65 firefighters to the scene to fight the blaze.
All four occupants, two adults, and two children were able to escape the fire without injury. However, the family of four will be displaced by the damage.
Piringer said the fire started on the rear deck after improperly discarded smoking materials were put in a flower pot on the deck. He said the wind likely blew hot embers from the flower pot on a chair and ignited a jacket that was draped over the chair. The fire then spread to the chair and the siding on the balcony. Piringer said the fire did about $20,000 in damage to the townhouse and temporarily displaced a family of four.
Photos and video courtesy MCFRS.