State to Begin Major Improvements on MD-355 at Old Baltimore Road in Clarksburg
This month, the Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration will begin an intersection improvement project at the MD-355/Frederick Road at West Old Baltimore Road. This project is approximately one-half mile in length on MD-355 between Greenridge Drive and Brink Road. The $9 million project should be complete by year end 2020.
The main part of the project is to realign the MD-355/West Old Baltimore Road intersection to 90 degrees, which will improve sight distance for drivers and bicyclists. Other work includes:
• Widening MD 355 to provide a northbound MD 355 left turn lane, acceleration and deceleration lanes on southbound MD 355 and a left turn lane on West Old Baltimore Road with MD 355;
• Reconstructing the MD 355 traffic signal to include the added turn lane;
• Milling and resurfacing existing roadways and installation of new pavement markings;
• Constructing a shared-use path, relocate 24-inch water main; and
• Replacing a drainage culvert.
Motorists can expect single lane closures on MD 355 and West Old Baltimore Road Mondays through Fridays between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm and Sunday nights through Friday mornings between 7:00 pm and 6:00 am. Approximately 18,000 vehicles use this section of MD-355 daily, so motorists should leave extra commute time during construction.
MDOT SHA’s contractor for the work is Rustler Construction of Upper Marlboro.
File Photo by Germantown Pulse, map courtesy Bing.com