• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Northwest Senior Dies in I-270 Crash

Northwest High School is in mourning once again, as member of the senior class was killed in a motor vehicle collision which happened Wednesday afternoon on I-270 in Bethesda.

According to a letter sent to the Northwest community by Principal Jimmy D’Andrea on Wednesday night, 17-year-old Joshua Snyder of Boyds died in the collision which occurred shortly after 3:00 pm, October 3.

Maryland State Police from the Rockville Barrack responded to the area of southbound I-270 south of Montrose Road for a two-vehicle collision on 3:24 pm on Wednesday. Police said the preliminary investigation revealed that a silver Buick Century was traveling south on I-270 and for unknown reason veered onto the left shoulder of the highway. The Buick struck the rear of an unattended white Ford box truck which had been parked on the left shoulder.

According to police, Snyder was the only occupant of the Buick and he was pronounced dead on the scene. Police said alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the collision.

In his email to the Northwest community D’Andrea wrote, “For those of you who knew Josh, we ask that you remember and celebrate his life. He was a very kind, hard-working individual who had a positive impact on all of those around him, and he will be deeply missed.”

D’Andrea said that a support team of counselors will be joining Northwest staff at school on Thursday to provide counseling and support to students. Students will be able to leave class to go to the counseling office at any point throughout the day if they feel the need.”

The collision and cleanup forced the closure of all southbound lanes of I-270, and some northbound lanes for the evening rush hour as police investigated the fatality.


Top: MCFRS unit on the scene of the fatal collision on I-270 which took the life of a Northwest High School senior. Photo courtesy MCFRS.

Next: The immediate aftermath of the collision captured by a passing motorist minutes after the collision. Photo courtesy Lorena Santa Cruz.