• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Closed Door, Smoke Alarms Save Family During Germantown Fire



Fire officials are crediting a closed door with containing the flames and smoke of a fire which broke out Friday morning at Germantown townhouse.

Montgomery County Fire Rescue Units responded to the 13000 block of Thyme Court in Germantown at about 7:15 am on Friday, July 27 for the report of a fire in the basement.


According to MCFRS senior spokesman, Pete Piringer, the fire was actually in a bathroom in the basement of the townhouse and because the bathroom door was closed the fire and smoke was contained to the room of origin. Piringer said the fire was the result of a malfunction in the bathroom exhaust fan. Burning fan components fell on the floor of the bathroom.

He said the smoke alarms alerted the family and all occupants of the house were able to exit residence without injury. According to Piringer, the residents closed doors behind them as they escaped the townhouse which further contained smoke and fire. As a result, it is estimated that only about $3,000 in damage was done to the townhouse.

Photo courtesy MCFRS.


Related Posts

See All