Two adults have been displaced after a fire damaged a Germantown townhouse on Thursday evening.
Montgomery County Fire Rescue Service units were called to a middle-of-the-row townhouse at 13733 Harvest Glen Way in Germantown at about
5:25 pm on Thursday, January 25 for the report of a fire in the rear of the townhouse. First arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire on and above the rear deck of the four-story townhome.
According to MCFRS senior spokesman Pete Piringer, the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials on the outside rear deck. He reported that the occupant of the house smelled smoke for hours. Once the smoke alarm activated, the homeowner discovered the rear deck and siding on fire. No one was injured, but the two adults who live in the dwelling have been displaced. Piringer said that the fire did approximately $55,000 in damage to the unit.
On Friday afternoon, MCFRS personnel from Fire Station 22 Germantown-Kingsview returned to Harvest Glen Way as part of the fire department’s “After-the-Fire” Initiative. The crew members visited home and check smoke alarms and installed a few.
Top: MCFRS units at 13719 Harvest Glen Way the scene of the townhouse fire on Thursday, Jan. 25.
Next: First arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire on and above the rear deck of the four-story townhome. Photo courtesy MCFRS.
Next: Ladder 734 with its aerial extended on the fire scene.
Next: Firefighters from Fire Station 22 with new smoke alarms as part of the MCFRS’ “After-the-Fire” program to promote neighborhood safety. Photo courtesy MCFRS.
Photos by Germantown Pulse, unless otherwise noted.