Montgomery County Fire Rescue Service units responded to a house fire in Boyds, which has left a family of four without a home.
MCFRS received the call at about 7:30 pm Friday night to respond to one-story, single-family home at 21510 Clarksburg Road in Boyds. The fire, which MCFRS senior spokesman Pete Piringer said was caused by combustibles too close to a “likely shoddy construction/renovation and heat from the fireplace” caused the fire to break out in the walls of the home. He said the fire was in a concealed space behind and around the fireplace and extended into the attic of the
dwelling. Piringer said the three occupants were able to get out after seeing smoke in a converted garage.
The fire brought over 65 firefighters to the scene on Clarksburg Road in Boyds, which is non-hydrant area and required water tankers to shuttle water to a fill site located at Clarksburg Road and Broadway.
Clarksburg Road was closed for about three hours as firefighters attacked the fire and cleaned up the area.
Top: MCFRS units Engine 735 and Tower 735 on the scene at the house fire at 21510 Clarksburg road in Boyds on Friday night.
Next: Firefighters working to gain access to the area of the fire behind the walls near the fireplace in the home.
Video: MCFRS units on scene at the fire at 21510 Clarksburg Road in Boyds on Friday night.
Next: MCFRS Captain Davi Henri or Fire State 722 on the house putting out hot spots in the walls of the house on Clarksburg Road. Capt. Henri was working one of his last shifts after 30 years on the job with MCFRS.
Photos and video courtesy MCFRS – Pete Piringer and Battalion Chief Dave Mann