The National Weather Service has issued an alert explaining that there is a potential for hazardous commuting conditions for the Thursday morning commute for the Baltimore and Washington D.C. metro areas. Light snow showers (with potential large impact due to sub-freezing roads) are POSSIBLE between 7:00 pm and 4:00 am tonight. There is a 40 percent chance for Washington, and a 60 percent chance for Baltimore. If there is accumulation, it is expected to be less than an inch.
The National Weather Service alert said, “If this threat of light snow on frigid roads does materialize overnight, the Thursday morning rush-hour could quickly turn icy on untreated roads. This could lead to hazardous traveling conditions, multiple accidents, and extensive delays.”
“If commuting Thursday morning,” the National Weather Service alert continued, “be aware of the POSSIBILITY of travel disruptions and icy roads. Plan ahead by allowing for extra travel time, and consider using public transportation and telework options.”
However, local school closing expert MoCoSnow says that kids should plan on school on Thursday. In a post which was sent out just prior to the NWS alert MoCoSnow said, “The bad news (for snow lovers and anyone that may want a school closing or delay) is that the clipper headed our way will pass us to the north. It looks like there's a chance to see some flakes, but likely nothing more than a dusting. If snow does fall things could get a little slick in spots due to the cold temps, but I don't think it will have much of an impact on the morning rush.”