• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Spirit Fall to Boston 1-0, Prepare to Host Orlando and National Spotlight Next Saturday

The Washington Spirit (3-6-2, 11 points) lost a 1-0 decision on the road against the Boston Breakers (3-6-3) on Saturday afternoon at Jordan Field in front of a crowd of 2,523.

The loss for the Spirit put an end to the team’s three-game unbeaten streak. Breakers rookie forward Margaret Purce netted the only goal of the game in the 73rd minute for Boston, coming off an assist from Rosie White.

The Spirit will return to action next Saturday, July 8 to host the Orlando Pride in what will be the first ever NWSL on Lifetime Game of the Week played at the Maryland SoccerPlex. Kickoff is set for 3:50 pm. with coverage on Lifetime starting at 3:30 pm.

On Saturday, Washington outshot Boston 14-13 overall, as the Breakers put six shots on target to the Spirit’s five. The Spirit controlled 54.3 percent of the possession, and made 408 total passes (70.3 percent accuracy) to Boston’s 345 (66.7 percent accuracy).

“It was a frustrating result,” said Spirit head coach and general manager Jim Gabarra. “I think we created plenty of chances to win and had one lapse on our setplay, and suddenly we were down a goal. I felt like we should have scored two or three in each half. We just have to reload and get ready for Orlando next week.”

Washington came within literal inches of scoring on two different occasions, once in each half. In the sixth minute, Kristie Mewis sent a corner kick toward the top left of the box to Whitney Church, who fired a shot back across the frame to the right side to what appeared to be an open net, but defender Brooke Elby got in front to make the save just before it reached the goal line.

In the 60th minute, Spirit forward Mallory Pugh struck the underside of the crossbar on a shot taken from the right side of the box, preventing what would have been the 19-year-old’s second career NWSL goal. Pugh came off the bench to start the second half as she suited up for the first time since injuring her ankle while on U.S. Women’s National Team duty on June 11.