• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Overloaded Fireplace Causes House Fire in Dickerson



A quick thinking neighbor called 911 and alert a Dickerson resident of a chimney fire which damaged the house at 19201 Martinsburg Road in the early hours of Wednesday, Feb. 2.

The Montgomery County Emergency Services received the call at about 2:10 am Wednesday morning of a house fire on Martinsburg Road near Whites Ferry Road in Dickerson. Montgomery County Fire Rescue units arrived to find a two-story house with fire showing on the exterior and a heavy smoke condition inside the house.


The fire was brought under control in about 40 minutes but firefighters.

Thanks to the alert neighbor all occupants were able to escape the fire. MCFRS set up a tanker shuttle system to maintain a water supply as the home was in a non-hydrant area in the rural, westernmost area of Montgomery County, near the location of Markoff’s Haunted Forest.

MCFRS senior spokesman Pete Piringer said 45 firefighters battled the fire which was caused by an overloaded fireplace sending hot embers up the chimney. He estimated the damage to the residence to be about $100,000.

Photos courtesy MCFRS


Germantown Pulse has stopped production
of original content for this website,
as of Aug. 1, 2019.
Germantown Pulse continues to provide news and information from other local source through links on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Thank you to our loyal readers and advertisers for a wonderful and fulfilling five years.

Featured Posts

Germantown Pulse

Germantown, Maryland's Hometown News Source

Comments, Questions, Ideas, or Suggestions 
Please, please, please drop us an email.
Advertise with GermantownPulse 
Reach LOCAL customers email us.
Have a photo for our Around Town section?
Submit it here.
Comments, Questions, Ideas, or Suggestions 
Please, please, please drop us an email.

    Like what you read? Donate now, help GermantownPulse provide more news to the community

© 2016 by Germantown Pulse.