• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Safeway Assailant Arrested by Police

The assailant in the altercation which left one man bleeding inside the Safeway in Germantown Town Center last month has turned himself into police and been arrested, according to MCPD.

Montgomery County Police spokesperson Rebecca Innocenti said that Ronald Stevenson, 25, of Gaithersburg, turned himself into police after a warrant was issued for his arrest in connection with the April 13 fight at the grocery store. He has been charged with one count of Second-Degree Assault.

Police said that two men, Stevenson and another man, began fighting outside of the Safeway store at 19718 Germantown Road. The other man ran into the store and was pursued by Stevenson, and store surveillance video showed both men continued fighting while in the store.

When police arrived on the scene, they found no victim but did find evidence of a struggle as grocery displays were de-shelved. Police also found a cell phone, as well as, blood drops and smudges on the Safeway floor in some aisles in the store.

Stevenson has a criminal history dating back to 2009 when a 19-year-old Stevenson was arrested as part of a burglary ring and charged with stealing four luxury vehicles, five rifles, and thousands of dollars in electronics in Potomac. He pled guilty to theft in that instance and in 2012 was issued a five-year suspended sentence, including two years and six months for time served. He was eventually sentenced to additional six months in jail for violating the terms of his probation.

Police confirmed that second unidentified man involved in the Safeway fight was later located at a local hospital, and was transported by police to Frederick County where he was wanted by police for an outstanding warrant stemming from a violation of probation.

If found guilty of second-degree assault charges, Stevenson could face imprisonment not exceeding 10 years or a fine not exceeding $2,500 or both.


Top: MCPD responded with multiple officers to the report of two men fighting with a knife at Safeway on April 13.

Next: As police investigated the scene inside the Safeway, it was apparent that an altercation had taken place, and one of the individuals was bleeding. Blood smears and drops could be seen on the floor, along with a cellphone.