Kitchen Fire Forces Partial Evacuation of Assisted Living Facility
A fire in a kitchen in an apartment forced the evacuation of dozens of residents at an assisted living facility in Germantown on Thursday afternoon.
Montgomery County Fire Rescue Service units responded to the Churchill Senior Living facility at 21000 Father Hurley Boulevard in Germantown shortly before 2:30 pm for a report of a fire in a third-floor apartment. The fire was extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system just before firefighters arrived, and displaced one resident, according to MCFRS senior spokesman Pete Piringer.
The fire and subsequent smoke condition forced the evacuation of dozens of residences. Firefighters assisted many residents down the stairwells, while other sheltered in place in their apartments, according to fire officials.
No residents were injured, but a few were evaluated by EMS after reaching the lobby of the building, but were not transported, said fire officials. The small kitchen fire did not extend beyond the initial apartment and was quickly contained and extinguished by the sprinkler activation. One resident will be temporarily displaced due to smoke and water damage.
Photos by Germantown Pulse.