An early morning fire ripped through a house in the Germantown Estates neighborhood of Germantown displacing a family of six early Tuesday morning.
Montgomery County Fire Rescue units were called to the two-story, single-family house at 13405 Tilford Court in Germantown shortly before 3:32 am on Tuesday, April 26.
According to MCFRS Senior Spokesman Pete Piringer, the fire began on the deck in the rear of the house which sits on the cul-de-sac. The family of six was alerted by the smoke alarms and were able to escape without injury.
MCFRS called for the Rapid Intervention and Task Force bringing more than 75 firefighters to the scene. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire.
According to Piringer, the fire was accidental in nature, caused by a charcoal grill on the deck igniting the aluminum siding. The fire extended into the house.
Fire officials estimate that the fire caused more than $100,000 in damage to the structure of the house and more than $50,000 in damage to the contents of the house.
Photos courtesy MCFRS.