Montgomery County Health officials hold the annual flu vaccination campaign and urge residents to get a flu vaccination — the best way to protect against illness during flu season. Seasonal flu will be circulating in the fall and winter and can cause serious illness.
Seasonal flu vaccinations will be readily available through private health providers, as well as at retail locations throughout the community. A county-sponsored seasonal flu vaccination clinics will be held in Germantown on Thursday, Nov. 12 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Germantown Health Center, 12900 Middlebrook Rd., 2nd floor, Germantown.
The cost for the flu vaccination is $20 per person. Individuals with health insurance should bring their insurance card to the clinic. The County will bill health insurance companies for the cost of the vaccine and there will NOT be a co-pay at the clinic. For individuals without health insurance, there will be a $20 fee based on the Maryland State Poverty Sliding Scale; payable by cash or credit card. A parent or legal guardian must accompany children under the age of 18.
The best way to prevent seasonal flu is to get vaccinated each year, but good health habits can often help stop the spread of germs and prevent illnesses like the flu. Good health habits include:
• Always cover cough or sneeze with a tissue—then throw the tissue away. Or, cough or sneeze into the inside of the elbow.
• Wash hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze and before you eat. Alcohol hand sanitizer (minimum 60% alcohol) will do if soap and water are not available.
• Avoid touching the eyes, nose or mouth. These are places germs can enter the body easily.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick, too.
• Monitor yourself and your family for symptoms of fever, chills, headache, sore throat, cough, body aches, and vomiting or diarrhea.
• If you are sick, stay home from work, school or other public places until you are feeling well.