• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Northwest Comes Up Short Against Sherwood

In its history Northwest High School’s football team has been able to achieve great things. Back-to-back Maryland State Championships, being tops among them. There is, however, one thing that has eluded the Jags – a win over the Sherwood Warriors.

Coach Michael Neubeiser and the Jaguars were hoping that this season would be the year they’d hand Sherwood a defeat. The Jags must have thought that the announcement of the game being moved from Friday night at Sherwood to Saturday night in Gaithersburg was a good sign. That decision moved the game closer, Northwest had good memories of season opening win over Gaithersburg, and the move to a neutral site took away any home-field advantage for the unbeaten Warriors. Alas, the Warriors would remain after defeating Northwest 16-13 on Saturday night.

The game at John Harvill Stadium was sloppy in terms of weather and play, both teams struggled offensively, as turnovers and penalties were plentiful.

Sherwood would strike first. Four and a half minutes into the first quarter the Warriors scored on their opening drive as Josh Sweeney would run 29 yards for touchdown. Both teams would trade punts and the first quarter ended with the Jags trailing the Warriors 7-0.

The Jags would drive down to the Sherwood 30 yard line, but a turnover would give the Warriors possession back. The Warriors would drive down the Northwest 35 before a Sherwood pass would be broken up by senior db Divino Fraiser. The Warriors decided to pin the Jags deep with a punt rather than go for it on fourth-and-seven. The punt gave the Jags the ball on their own five-yard line.

A Mark Pierce run and a pass to Khalil Owens would get the Jags some breathing room, but the drive would stall and Jags punted giving Sherwood the ball on the own 18. The Northwest defense led by Devino Frazier and Latif Mahamafdou, who knocked down a pass and had a tackle in the backfield to force a punt.

The Jags would take over at their own 25. Northwest would move the ball, and a few plays later Pierce would drop back to throw, only to have a Sherwood defender Marcus Sims would snatch a tipped ball out of the air and return it to the Northwest 10-yard line.

Again the Northwest defense stepped up and made stops, which combined with a Sherwood penalty forced a fourth-and-22. Sherwood’s kicker Jeremy Harrison would boot a 39 yard field goal to extend the Warrior lead to 10-0 with less than a minute left in the half.

The game looked set to halftime with the Warrior’s 10-0, but the Jags Martin Foray was not going to allow that to happen. With two seconds left in the half, Foray caught the kick-off and ran it 82 yards for a touchdown. He broke numerous tackles as he darted for the Northwest sideline allowing his team mates to help him get through the Sherwood kicking team. Unfortunately the extra point was short, due to a Northwest penalty, it was 10-6 at halftime.