• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Basement Fire Damages Boyds Home, Displaces Elderly Woman



A Saturday night basement fire has done over $10,000 in damage to a rural Boyds home and displaced an elderly woman.

At approximately 10:50 pm on August 8, Montgomery County Fire Rescue Service units were called to 21615 Slidell Road in Boyds for the report of a house fire. The fire occurred in a home that was set back off Slidell Road, well down a lane in an area that is not serviced by fire hydrants.


First arriving units reported a single family home with smoke showing, according to MCFRS senior spokesman Pete Piringer. Additional fire/rescue units including tanker trucks were dispatched.

The elderly homeowner stated that she was sitting upstairs when she heard something beeping, said Piringer. She got up and saw smoke and realized the beeping sound was the smoke detector sounding. She opened the basement door, and smoke came up from the basement. She shut the door, grabbed her cat and phone and exited the house to call 911. MCFRS personnel found her unhurt outside of the home.

Fire crews found a small fire in the basement and extinguished it, said Piringer. First arriving firefighters reported hoarding conditions present throughout the house. “Hoarding conditions typically add to a fire load and present many dangers to firefighters,” said Piringer.


Luckily, the fire was confined to the area of origin and did not extend much further than the basement. The cause of the fire is listed as accidental caused by a failure or malfunction of the power strip an