Basement Fire Damages Boyds Home, Displaces Elderly Woman
A Saturday night basement fire has done over $10,000 in damage to a rural Boyds home and displaced an elderly woman.
At approximately 10:50 pm on August 8, Montgomery County Fire Rescue Service units were called to 21615 Slidell Road in Boyds for the report of a house fire. The fire occurred in a home that was set back off Slidell Road, well down a lane in an area that is not serviced by fire hydrants.
First arriving units reported a single family home with smoke showing, according to MCFRS senior spokesman Pete Piringer. Additional fire/rescue units including tanker trucks were dispatched.
The elderly homeowner stated that she was sitting upstairs when she heard something beeping, said Piringer. She got up and saw smoke and realized the beeping sound was the smoke detector sounding. She opened the basement door, and smoke came up from the basement. She shut the door, grabbed her cat and phone and exited the house to call 911. MCFRS personnel found her unhurt outside of the home.
Fire crews found a small fire in the basement and extinguished it, said Piringer. First arriving firefighters reported hoarding conditions present throughout the house. “Hoarding conditions typically add to a fire load and present many dangers to firefighters,” said Piringer.
Luckily, the fire was confined to the area of origin and did not extend much further than the basement. The cause of the fire is listed as accidental caused by a failure or malfunction of the power strip and its plug.
“Investigation determined the fire originated on the floor of the basement. In the area of origin, a power strip that was plugged into an extension cord was recovered,” said Piringer “The plugs on the power strip and the extension cord were both burned extensively with little remaining of either. A large amount of charred, ordinary combustible items was on the floor in this area as well. A box fan was plugged into the power strip.”
About 45 firefighters were dispatched to battle the fire; there were no reported injuries.
Top: EMS personnel bring a precautionary stretcher past MCFRS units that were lined up along Slidell Road as firefighters battled a basement fire in a home on Saturday night.
Next: The fire was in a house that was set back, down a lane off Slidell Road. This photo shows the tanker truck from the Upper Montgomery County Volunteer Fire Department, Tanker 714 based in Beallsville.
Next: About 45 firefighters were dispatched to battle the fire on Slidell Road on Saturday night.
Photos by Germantown Pulse.