• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Seneca Valley Boys LAX Wins Playoff Thriller in Final Seconds

SV v Watkins Mill Lax-1-20150530.jpg

Wednesday night’s first round boys playoff game between Seneca Valley and Watkins Mill featured bone shaking thunder and shocking lightning bolts, some of which were due to the Spring storms, but the bigger claps happened on the field.

The final quarter of the tight game, which earlier had been interrupted by the thunderstorms bowling through Germantown area on Wednesday night, saw the Screaming Eagles give up a three goal lead, only to have Seneca Valley’s attacker Scott Cunningham win the game 7-6 with only :10 seconds remaining.


Last season, it was Watkins Mill that sent Seneca Valley home after a tight 9-8 loss in the playoffs. During the regular season, 5-7, Seneca Valley and 4-8, Watkins Mill met the game was close, with Seneca Valley winning 10-7 back on April 18.

Seneca Valley got on the board first, scoring two goals in the first quarter. The first came from the stick of senior midfielder Alec Delgadillo two minutes and 50 seconds into the game.

Watkins Mill’s Jose Aguirre Mori would tie the game with 4:05 left in the quarter, but Seneca would retake the lead as senior Henry Quaye found the back of the netting in the waning seconds of the first quarter. The Eagles would extend the lead with 2:35 left in the half on senior Adrian Saravia’s first of three goals.

As the half ended both the Wolverines and the weather turned more threatening. Watkins Mill peppered Seneca Valley goalkeeper Hunter Bolen with 12 shots in the first half, and would finish the game with 22 saves. He would let up a second goal from Priye Roberts with :40 seconds left in the half, and Seneca Valley took 3-2 lead into halftime, as the rain turned heavy and lightning began to flash across the Germantown sky.

SV v Watkins Mill Lax-12-20150530.jpg

The inclement weather would extend half-time to more than an hour. Play would resume roughly 90 minutes later, and two minutes and 29 seconds into the third quarter, Seneca’s Henry Quaye would strike again, netting his second of the game to extend the lead to 4-2.

Seneca Valley would hold Watkins Mill scoreless in the third quarter, with Bolen stopping four shots in the 12 minute span as the teams came out of the half.

In the fourth quarter the lightning would move out of the area, but the electricity on the lacrosse field would increase. Early in the fourth, Adrian Saravia would net his second goal to give the Eagles and 5-2 lead with 10:55 remaining.

But, twenty seconds later the Wolverines would score begin cutting into the lead with a goal from Ross Campbell. Watkins Mill would score two more unanswered goals in to tie the game. The first came from the basket of Shawn Simpson at with 8:22 seconds remaining and the game would be tied when Priye Roberts would score his second goal to deadlock the game at five with 7:45 left.


With 2:29 remaining in a tied playoff game Watkins Mill’s Uttej Konda would be called for 30 second holding penalty putting his team down a man. Seneca Valley would take advantage of the man-up situation as Adrian Saravia would score his third goal of the night to give the Eagles a 6-5 lead with 2:21 left.

The Wolverines were not done, with just 25 seconds remaining Ross Campbell would tie the game at six goals apiece.

However, Seneca Valley’s Scott Cunningham was not going to let this lightning delayed game go into overtime. He produced some lightning of his own with a shot that flashed past Watkins Mill goalie Kush Kharod with just 10.9 seconds remaining to give the Eagles their first playoff victory since 2012.

The Screaming Eagles will travel to Damascus tonight -- Friday, May 8 -- to face a 9-3 Swarmin’ Hornets team. The second round playoff game starts at 7:00 at Damascus High School. Seneca Valley is hoping for a much different result from the last time these two teams met in the regular season, when Damascus beat them 16-1. Damascus has been a thorn in the Eagles talons. The Seneca Valley has not beaten the Hornets since 2010.


Top: Seneca Valley’s senior midfielder Alec Delgadillo (11) brings the ball up early in Wednesday’s first round playoff game against Watkins Mill. Delgadillo would later score the game’s first goal. Photo by Germantown Pulse

Next: Seneca’s Henry Quay (8) zips a shot past defenders. He would score two goals in the win. Photo courtesy Paul Delgadillo.

Next: Seneca Valley’s Thomas Santucci (14) lines up a shot. Photo by Germantown Pulse

Next: Seneca’s Adrian Saravia (9) and Watkins Mill’s Michael Fianko (25) battle for the faceoff. Photo courtesy Paul Delgadillo

#germantown #SVHS #LAX #SenecaValley

Germantown Pulse has stopped production
of original content for this website,
as of Aug. 1, 2019.
Germantown Pulse continues to provide news and information from other local source through links on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Thank you to our loyal readers and advertisers for a wonderful and fulfilling five years.

Featured Posts

Germantown Pulse

Germantown, Maryland's Hometown News Source

Comments, Questions, Ideas, or Suggestions 
Please, please, please drop us an email.
Advertise with GermantownPulse 
Reach LOCAL customers email us.
Have a photo for our Around Town section?
Submit it here.
Comments, Questions, Ideas, or Suggestions 
Please, please, please drop us an email.

    Like what you read? Donate now, help GermantownPulse provide more news to the community

© 2016 by Germantown Pulse.