• Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page

Community Helps Family Displaced by House Fire



Walkers.JPG

On Saturday evening, soon-to-be six year-old Aaron Walker was opening the presents he’d gotten at his birthday party earlier that afternoon, when tragedy struck. His family’s house on Wanegarden Court in Germantown caught fire.

The fire happened at 20004 Wanegarden Court at about 8:00 pm Saturday, March 28 and consumed much of one exterior wall of the two-story, one-family home. The house suffered more than $100,000 in damage. The accidental fire started in the chimney and extended into the walls on the first and second floor, as well as the attic of the house.

The Walker family -- Becca and Adam, and their two young sons – Aaron (who turns six-years-old today, April 1) and Aiden, who is three, all escaped unharmed to safety, lost most of their possessions and temporarily lost their house as a result of the fire.

Once Becca Walker’s friend Audrey Seymour had heard about the fire the following day, she knew she wanted to help her friend. The Seymours and the Walkers have been friends since the families met while their oldest boys played together in the infant room of Peppertree Children’s Center in Germantown.

“I was just in shock,” said Audrey Seymour. “This never happens to people that you know. I didn’t know what we could do to help them. There isn’t a manual of ‘How to Help Someone After Their House Burns Down.’ I noticed on FaceBook a lot of people were asking, ‘What can we do?’”