Firefighters Battle Germantown Townhouse Fire
Less than two hours after battling a house fire on Wanegarden Court, the Montgomery County Fire Rescue Service was called to battle a townhouse fire on Saturday night.
Shortly before 10:00 pm on Saturday, March 28, MCFRS units were called to 18488 Stone Hollow Drive in Germantown for a report of fire at a middle of the row townhouse. Upon arriving firefighters found a heavy smoke condition and encountered heavy fire around the chimney and roof of the two-story townhouse located in the Stoneridge Community off Mateny Road.
Firefighters called in additional units to deal with the fire, which according to MCFRS Senior Spokesman Pete Piringer began as a chimney fire and spread to walls and the attic area. Firefighters assisted a number of residents from adjacent units to safety. Eventually more than 75 firefighters were battling the fire.
MCFRS estimates that the fire did about $75,000 in damage to the structure and 2 adults and 2 children were displaced by the fire. EMS evaluated some residents on the scene but there were no injuries.
As a result of the fire and the large number units Mateny Road was blocked for about an hour on Saturday night.
Earlier that night MCFRS were called to 20004 Wanegarden Court for a house fire which resulted in a more than $100,000 in damages, but no injuries.
Photos by Germantown Pulse.
Video: Courtesy Pete Piringer, MCFRS