By Kevin O’Rourke
A commercial dryer explosion at the Zipps Dry Cleaners at 13801 Wisteria Drive in the Lotte Market Shopping Plaza caused about $75,000 in damage.
Montgomery County Fire Rescue units were called to the cleaning business shortly after 10:00 am Tuesday morning. “The fire was caused when heat from the dryer ignited clothing that contained over-heated cleaning residue,” said MCFRS public information officer Pete Piringer. The fire activated an automatic sprinkler which controlled and contained the fire until firefighters could extinguish it, according to Piringer.
No one was injured, but the MCFRS Haz-Mat unit was called as precaution due to the dryer being a gas-fed and the existence of cleaning chemicals.
Fire officials said water to the building was shut off which affected the Pho House restaurant in the strip-mall, and required the Montgomery County Health Inspector to make sure all health codes. “The fire code official was also on scene,” said Piringer, “regarding the sprinkler activation and other minor issues.”
Top: Firefighters at the back of the building on Wisteria Drive where a dryer fire caused $75,000 in damage.
Next: The commercial dryer inside Zipps Dry Cleaners in the Lotte Market Shopping Center which caused the fire. Photo courtesy Pete Piringer, MCFRS.
Next: Firefighters prepare to begin overhaul and check for extension at Zipps Dry Clearners.
Photos by Germantown Pulse.