By Kevin O’Rourke
As residents brace for a brutally cold and windy night, firefighters were called to a Germantown townhouse to put out a fire.
The fire, which was reported at about 7:40 pm on Thursday evening, occurred at 18561 Eagles Roost Drive in Germantown, a middle-of-the-row, two-story townhouse. The first arriving MCFRS units reported that the fire was showing from the roof of the building.
MCFRS chief spokesman Pete Piringer reports that the fire is believed to have begun as a chimney fire which had extended to the roof. All occupants of the townhouse managed to get out of the house safely and there were no injuries according to MCFRS.
Milestone Station Truck 734 positioned their vehicle in front of the building and used the aerial ladder to allow firefighters access to the roof. MCFRS personnel quickly got water onto the roof and extinguished the fire. Once the fire was out, firefighters could be seen on the second floor of the townhouse checking for fire in the eaves and walls.
As nervous neighbors looked on, firefighters continued to check the chimney area of the roof for fire. Firefighters also battled temperatures in the teens and wind chills, and 20- to 30-mph. winds with gusts up to 50 mph, creating wind chills near or below zero.
Top: MCFRS personnel from Truck 734 spray water on the roof and chimney area of the townhouse.
Next: A Montgomery County firefighter the checks for fire extension in the chimney and roof of 18561 Eagles Roost Drive in Germantown.
Next: A firefighter checks the eaves of the building for fire extension from the second floor window.
Next: Firefighters on a hose team standby to enter the building if more fire is discovered.
Photos by Germantown Pulse.