By Kevin O’Rourke
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for Montgomery County for tomorrow from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm tomorrow, Wednesday, Jan. 21. The NWS says the Germantown area can expect between one to three inches of snow by the time the storm rolls out tomorrow evening.
According to the NWS, “Snow is expected to develop early Wednesday morning and continue through the daytime on Wednesday. The heaviest snow is expected from late morning through mid-afternoon.”
However, will schools be open, delayed or will MCPS students get a five-day weekend?
As of 7:00 pm MoCoSnow.com said, “One to two inches is a little more likely, but as we saw a couple weeks back, a perfectly placed snow band can double that pretty quickly.”
Germantown Pulse weather partner, MoCoSnow.com has issued a Two-Pencil Prediction for tomorrow with a caveat. “Two pencils. This usually means there's a 50 percent chance of a delay, but in this case it's different. A delay would not help since it would only make students and staff go to school while the snow is falling. This is a different kind of two pencils. Right now, there's a 45 percent chance of a full day of school, a 35 percent chance of the whole day off, and a 20 percent chance of an early dismissal.”
An early dismissal from school would have to be announced by MCPS official by 11:00 am tomorrow. MCPS has used one of the four scheduled snow days thus far this school year. Three snow days remain.
The Maryland State Highway Administration is urging motorists to closely monitor weather forecasts as meteorologists predict snow during the Wednesday morning and/or evening commutes. Current forecasts say precipitation could begin early to mid-morning, impacting the early rush hour.
Anticipating the predicted weather, tonight SHA crews are pre-treating major roads and interstates with salt brine as an initial measure to prevent snow accumulation. As pavement temperatures throughout much of Maryland are expected to be right around freezing overnight and into early Wednesday, motorists should consider delaying travel based on the latest conditions.
“For the third consecutive week, forecasters call for precipitation during a weekday commute and we cannot stress enough that a difference of only one or two degrees is the difference between wet roads and treacherous slippery roads,” said SHA Administrator Melinda B. Peters. “With pavement temperatures expected to be right around freezing or just below, we again ask motorists to take these warnings seriously. Make decisions now, such as delaying travel plans, while we take care of clearing roads for your travel.”